From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 16:58:08 PST
Lately, I've been listening to Mozart's complete piano sonatas performed
by Andras Schiff on London (443 717-2), and Schiff's new set of Haydn's
sonatas on Teldec (0630-17141-2).  I think that one of the keys to
understanding music is by comparing:  same works, different performers;
different works, same performers.  Now, I only listened to both sets
two or three times, and then during my daily commute to and from work.
Admittedly, my '85 Accord does not have the best accoustics.  However, I
have a pretty good sound system and I think I was able hear a few things.

I remember Don Satz describing Mozart as an "entertainer."  Comparing
the Mozart and the Haydn, I agree, at least with regards to the sonatas.
They would not be out of place being performed quietly at an expensive
restaurant.  The outer movements are bright, lively and inventive.
However, I find something missing in the slower second movements.  It's
as if Mozart wrote them merely because they were obligatory.  I wonder
what Mozart thought of them.  They don't sound as if they are "knock-offs"
or trifles, but compared with the Haydn, they lack some weight.

I think that Haydn used the sonatas as more of a means of expression,
rather than to amuse himself.  If I was in a restaurant and someone was
playing Haydn, my food would probably get cold.  I think Haydn wrote his
sonatas with more emotion.  They are more serious than the Mozart, although
I do not think any work of Haydn could ever be without humor.  Again, I
agree with Don in that these sonatas sound almost Romantic.

Schiff is excellent in both.  However, I like Schiff's playing of the Haydn
more than his playing the Mozart; maybe because Schiff's style is more
suited to Haydn; maybe because the Haydn recordings have a clearer sound.

I wish I could express myself better.

If any other List members have any comments, I would like very much to read
them.

Thanks, as always.

Ron Chaplin