From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 01:21:48 -0600
Bruno Galeron wrote:

>I'd like to buy a good recording of Ravel complete music for piano. I've
>see it was issued on this Virgin double CD set collection at a pretty cheap
>price.  Is it a good choice? Samson Francois on Emi double forte is maybe
>a better choice though it is a little dearer?

Ahhh Ravel.  My second favorite composer in the whole world.  I have the
following complete piano music sets in one form or another and love them
all for various reasons:

Casadesus on Sony Heritage
Entremont on Sony Essential Classics
Thibaudet on Decca
Gieseking on EMI

The Casadesus and Gieseking are mono, but they are played so very
beautifully.

More specifically, Gaspard de la Nuit is my very favorite piece of piano
music and I have in addition to the above, the following:

Pogorelich (firey intensity, spectacular playing, the finest Scarbo on
record!)

Argerich (what can one say?)
Ashkenazy (very fine too!)

Kevin Sutton