From:
Thomas Heilman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:23:04 -0500
Tim Dickinson writes on the Mahler 6th first movement exposition repeat:

>Among those that I can vouch for:
>
>Bernstein (Sony and DG), Kubelik, Haenchen, Boulez, Inoue, Solti,
>Horenstein, Thomas Sanderling, Haitink, Zander, Nanut, Mehta, Levine,
>Karajan, Farberman, ....
>
>Perhaps the better question is who does not observe the repeat? Barbirolli,
>Szell, Levi, and Mitropoulos.

Perhaps I am an odd duck when it comes to recorderd performances of this
work.  I have loved the Barbirolli performance above all others for a
long time, even though I came to this work through the first Bernstein
recording.  I also own and do not care for nearly as much as the
Barbirolli, the Kubelik, DG Bernstein, and Horenstein recordings.

In addition to the Barbirolli and Rosbaud that do not include the repeat,
I own and enjoy Szell, own and ponder the Scherchen, own and would not like
to own much longer the Levi(just too damned fast in the first movment).
So, of all the 6ths I own, I do not enjoy any of those with the repeat
nearly as much as I do those without, excepting Levi which is destined for
the hopper or cd purgatory.  Those of you that love the Barbirolli, can you
recommend one with the repeat as highly as you rate that? Both Bernstein
recordings seem somehow trivial.

Best regards,

Thomas Heilman