From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:40:53 -0500
Ed Zubrow asks me, Re: my list of overlooked:

>I was a bit surprised at the omission of the composer I consider my "find"
>of the year:  Moishe Vainberg.  Indeed, Steve had much to do with me, and
>several others on the list, discovering this composer.  Perhaps Steve or
>others could comment on why Vainberg is not in the same class as these
>others?

No argument from me.  I think Vainberg fantastic - in my opinion, the
equal of Shostakovich, his model, although an individual in his own right.
I omitted him because I didn't think of him at the time.  I also omitted
Dutilleux just because he didn't come springing to mind at that moment.
There are probably a lot of other composers like that:  Honegger, Milhaud,
Eben, Barta, Thompson, Thomson, Schulhoff, and so on.  As another poster
remarked, there are too many good composers in this century!

Steve Schwartz