From:
Jan Templiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 22:47:59 +0200
Deryk Barker wrote:

>There is a well-known anecdote of Klemeperer recording in the mid-50s.
>At one point he noticed an error in the playback and wanted to repeat an
>entire movement.  The engineers assured him they could simply record a few
>bars and splice the correction in.
>
>Klemperer turned to his daughter (and assistant) and said: "Lottem, ein
>schwindel [swindle] ist!"

Just a question from a curious one; is this somehow funny or dead serious?

>One reason I so much prefer listening to live performances (I mean unedited
>live performances) these days.

How do you define 'live performance'? The thing that happens in the
concert on the recording thereof? The first could hardly be edited..
and who does release unedited performances of concerts? I recall that the
late Gunter Wand said in his last interview in Gramphone that he would
refuse to edit performances.  Either the concert the way it was (even
though the recordings suggest that he assembled movements from different
concerts) or nothing.  Is there anyone else with that attitude?

Jan