From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:56:09 -0500
Janos wrote:

>The absolutely terrific MTT/SFS Mahler 9 will be broadcast tonight
>(Tuesday) at 8 on KDFC-FM, 102.1.  I suggest engaging various recording
>devices. (I do not believe www.kdfc.org will carry it, alas, but it can't
>hurt to check.)

I tuned into Chicago's classical station (WFMT) one night, about a month
and a half ago, while the 2nd movement was playing.  Since I'm always
on the lookout for a decent Mahler 9, I kept it on, but didn't listen
closely at first.  I was struck by the gutsy performance.  The interpretive
style was very active, sort of the opposite of Boulez.  Tempos were
manipulated to emphasize the expressiveness.  Where Boulez strived for
balance -- of sound, texture, and structure -- this interpretation didn't
hold any punches.  I found the performance to be direct.

As I let the music play to the end, my wife was a captive audience.
She doesn't care much for classical music -- she likes Rock'n Roll.  (She
also has severe hearing loss, and wears hearing aids.) So, what chance
does she have of appreciating Mahler's 9th, which is hardly an introductory
piece?  As it turned out, we were both quite moved by it.

When the piece was over, after the strings faded imperceptibly into
silence, there was a silent pause before applause started, tentative at
first.  (I knew it was a live performance.) I wasn't surprise to find
out that it was Tilson Thomas.  I have his Mahler 7, which he conducts
in a similar "active" style.

Does anyone know if this will be released to CD? If so, when?

"Mike Leghorn" <[log in to unmask]>