From:
Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2009 19:40:04 -0700
Steve Schwartz wrote:

> By the way, this is a DG "triad": three CDs at some reduced price. I've
> seen the set listed at about $24.00 (US), and a quick tour of the Internet
> tells me I can get a new copy for $16.00, or a little more than $5.00
> per CD.

Steve's explanation helps me to understand Sibelius a bit better.  Some
months ago I bought a box of 8 CDs from Amazon: EMI with the Helsinki
Philharmonic under Paavo Berglund.  A rather unattractive box set, it
contains the symphonies and tone poems.  Sibelius can be listened to as
background music, which ties in with what Steve says

> In the days before recordings, there used to be something called theater
> (or incidental) music, played by live orchestras employed by, appropriately
> enough, theaters.  Plays in the tonier venues were seldom given without
> music, in fact.

But I must confess that I find his music difficult to listen to in an
understanding way.  That does not mean it is not beautiful to listen to.
The translated text in the the booklet can be as meaningless as the
music!

"Gerhard Griesel" <[log in to unmask]>