From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:38:16 +0100
Tim Mahon wrote:

>Mahler recordings always seem to excite great passion on this List.  What's
>the opinion of the Berlin Philharmonic/Abbado recording of Mahler 3 just
>issued on DG -- taken from an apparently 'universally-lauded performance'
>at the RFH in 1999.  The review I have just read (giving it 5 stars) says
>it "...must now be the benchmark by which all others are judged."
>I don't have this symphony in my collection and would like other opinions
>before I commit.

My review of Claudio Abbado's new Mahler 3rd is now on Music Web at:

   http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2002/July02/Mahler3_abbado.htm

Conclusion:

   "Highly recommended as an all-round choice for Mahler's most expansive
   work."

But it is a long review so please read it all.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler CD recordings survey is at:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/