From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:31:40 -0700
Donald Scarinci ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Naxos puts out a DDD Sibelius 7th.  It is by LEAPER/SLOVAK PHIL ORCH.  The
>price is a cool $5.00.  Is the performance and sound quality there or is
>there a better Sibelius 7th out there?

Haven't heard Leaper's Sibelius, although can it be coincidence that Naxos
have started another Sibelius cycle? AL's Nielsen was OK, but nothing
special.

Sibelius 7? Koussevitsky (1933, BBC SO, live the first recording)
white-hot.  Leningrad PO/Mravinsky, ditto.  I also rather like Rattle's
CBSO account.

I don't know of any modern account to match the intensity of the two
Russians though.

Deryk Barker