From:
Gary Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:30:26 -0500
The Idil Biret set is excellent, as well as a good buy.  However, my
personal favorite is Julius Katchen's complete set of the piano music
(Decca 455247 (6CDs).  In addition, I heartily recommend Arthur Schnabel's
recordings, which are available in a number of reissues.

If you are unfamiliar with the solo piano music, I recommend that you list
to the shorter pieces first.  These are Opp.  76,, 116, 117, 118 and 119.
These miniature masterpieces.

I would then turn to the Hungarian Dances.  These are delightful and in
many ways superior to Liszt.

Then listen to Variations on a Theme by Paganini (which uses the same them
e as Rachmaninoff in his Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini) and Variations
and Fugue on a Theme by Handel.  These are monuments in the piano
literature.

Finally, listen to the sonatas.  These are early works and tend to be
almost symphonic.  They are not as "accessible" as the other works, but
they grow on you.

Good Luck!

Gary Hoffman
Omaha, Nebraska, USA