From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:30:19 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>[...about an inability to] handle more
>than 10 minutes of solo flute, never mind 3 hours.
>
>I do have interest in Koechlin based on his cello works on an Hyperion disc
>coupled with cello works of Pierne.  I might try a new CPO disc of his
>chamber works with oboe.

I'm not a big fan of flute music to begin with, and I also find the
thought of 3 CDs filled with nothing but solo flute music, no matter
how well-composed or-played, far from enticing.

Even so, I'd recommend you not overlook the 66+ min.  Hyperion disc of
Koechlin's Music for Flute (CDA 66414).  It hasn't got a single piece for
solo flute ...not even three minutes worth.  There's a Sonata and several
other pieces for flute and piano, a delightful Sonata for two flutes, and
something called L'Album de Lilian, in nine movements for piano solo or
accompanied by soprano and/or flute.

Bert Bailey