From:
David Cozy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:34:07 +0900
I have been listening with great pleasure these days to Artur Rubinstein,
Henryk Szeryng, and Pierre Fournier play trios.  I find in the liner
notes to Volume 73 of the Rubinstein Collection (Brahms Piano Trio No.
3 and Schubert Piano trio No.  2) Harris Goldsmith remarking of the
pianist: "He is not an intellectual, but his musical intelligence is
nonetheless a superior and governing one."

I assume that the word "intellectual" as used in the above quotation
actually means something and is not just boilerplate, but thinking
about it, I find myself uncertain what, in the context of musicianship,
"intellectual" might denote.  I am certain I have seen the word used to
describe other musicians, so it must be shorthand for something, but
what?

Any ideas?

David Cozy <[log in to unmask]>