From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:52:38 -0800
Thank you everyone for you input.

Mimi writes:

>buy both, (Kirshbaum and Blysma,) and, for your first assignment, compare
>individual movements.

Well, Ms. Ezust....what if I don't wanna do my homework assignment? :)

I picked up the Kirshbaum, and have been enjoying it immensely--Bach's
music is almost as good as Respighi's "Ancient Airs and Dances."

A few observations:

Kirshbaum really seems to be celebrating the *sound* of his cello--Even
Terry Riley's "In C" would be a beautiful thing if arranged for four
cellists possessing the ear of Kirshbaum.

Kirshbaum sharply characterizes individual movt's of each suite so that
this Bach newbie doesn't lose his way.  I noticed that KB also colors
each strand of Bach's polyphony differently, which certainly helps in
the comprehension dept.  (I missed this with the Harrell.)

Kirshbaum lends a sincerely delightful lilt and bounce to the dance
numbers, and in the more reflective moments, turns phrases so poetically
that I momentarily forget my need for music with multiple harps, gongs,
big organs, and wind machines--could Bach and a single Cello be enough?

Naw.....

John Smyth