From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:17:28 -0800
Don Satz describes his local commercial CM station as follows: (A)

>...either commercials, Vivaldi, snippets, guitar music, or some type of
>cross-over.

Clearly, there is no reason for any of US to listen to it.  We buy our own
music and, as Don says (B):

>Don't all of us have record collections which ideally suit our
>preferences? I just wish I had more-more-more!

Could it be that statement B contains the germ of the explanation of
the phenomenon summarized in statment A? If everyone assumes that private
consumption is the ONLY possible mode of cultural (or other) experience,
then an impoverished public realm is just what can be expected.  And, as
Don points out, we also get great pro wrestling into the bargain.

Jon Gallant  [[log in to unmask]]