From:
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:59:56 -0400
Rodrigo Ventura wrote:

>I was wondering what is your opinion about these composers.  Have you
>forgotten to mention them, or do you find them not as outstanding as the
>ones you mentioned?
>
>- Prokofiev
>- Rachmaninoff

Both are fabulous composers.  Prokofiev's music tends to be more rough
and virant than Rachmaninov's.  Rachmaninov's music is very poetic and is
based very much around the melody whereas Prokofiev's tended to use the
entire musical experience.  For example, the scherzo from Love for Three
Oranges is more fleeting and abstract than any of Rachmaninov's that I've
encountered (and I've encountered a lot).  Overall, they had diffent things
to say.  Prokofiev was more sarcastic and humorous whereas Rachmaninov is
knight-in- shining-armor music with humor of the witty (used loosely)
variety rather than the farce that Prokofiev employed.

Joseph Sowa