From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:49:13 -0700
Stephen E. Bacher ([log in to unmask]) regarding David Bedford:

>I remember that "Star's End" was released by Virgin Records in the 1970's,
>when Virgin had just started out, as almost exclusively a rock label -
>but for the most part the far-flung edges of "rock".  (Their big seller
>was Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells", that crowd's version of a bow to
>commerciality.) Bedford's orchestral work was fairly modern 20th-c
>classical, but seemed to fit well with this audience, I guess (going by
>25-year-old memories).

There was a connection.  Before his first solo outing, Oldfied was the
bass player for Kevin Ayers and the Whole World.  Bedford was the keyboard
player.  (Ayers was formerly with the Soft Machine).  I heard them live
numerous times, most memorably at Hyde Park (1970, the concert at which the
Pink Floy launched Atom Heart Mother) in which the vibrations from DB's
pedal notes could be felt well over 100 yards away.

Deryk Barker