From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:23:06 -0300
Wilson Pereira wrote:

>I saw today on Portuguese Television RTPI, the Argentinian tenor Jose
>Cura conducting an orchestra while he was singing "Vesti la giubba",
>from Leoncavallo's Pagliacci.  I could hardly believe it.  Is there
>any other example of this kind?

I don't remember any other example in a live concert.  But one may wonder
why isn't this a widespread custom among singers.  It seems not so
difficult.  Singing leaves your hands free to put them wherever you want,
even on the baton.  It's better when the baton is connected to a well
rehearsed orchestra (well rehearsed by another guy, I mean).  I'll be much
more impressed when Mr. Cura sing "Vesti la giubba" while conducting
"Pierrot Lunaire".

Pablo Massa