From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:36:47 PDT
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Sorry, but I really can't stand the Gardiner, it's as profound as his Missa
>Solemnis (i.e., for me, not at all).

I've already stated my opinion that Gardiner's is the best Bach Mass on
record.  What Deryk wrote did get me to thinking of the degree of difference
in opinions of performances of sacred choral works based on the degree of
religious feeling of the listener.

I am a thoroughly non-religious person.  I can't possibly identify with
or feel the religious themes of sacred works, although I am well aware
that these themes are prevalent in the music.  What I seem to naturally
do is convert the religious themes into alternative themes.  Can I be
as impacted by the music as the religious listener? I think so.  Is it
reasonable that the performances I like most might be different from those
liked most by the religious listener? Again, I I think so.  So, perhaps,
Deryk's preferences and mine are impacted in part by our religious views.
If Deryk shares my views, forget the whole thing.

Don Satz