From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:08:37 -0600
Tom Connor asks if

>...  the Hall these orchestras (Boston, Vienna, Concertgebouw) play in
>contribute(s) to the quality of the musical organization?

I would say yes, particularly the first two, for the reason Tom suggests,
which is that the players can hear one another easily.  That is bound to
make a significant difference, beyond the level of training/skill all major
orchestras have.  One of the biggest complaints about the acoustics of
Philharmonic Hall in New York before its renovation was that the players
could not hear one another.  The New York players have sometimes been said
to have a snarly disposition--to the point of, let us say, not playing
their best for conductors they don't like; the acoustic situation I mention
couldn't possibly have had a positive effect on morale or performance
level.

Jim Tobin