From:
Dan Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 00:22:03 -0800
I spend another great evening listening to Schubert and I felt like posting
some thoughts and questions which crossed my mind.

As I was listening to the String Quintet, the Quartet and G and some other
late Schubert it occurred to me that if I create an histogram of the dates
when the music in my CD collection were written,there will be a peak in the
years 1825 - 1828.  Those were the years were both Beethoven and Schubert
composed their famous late chamber music.  I was wondering - were those
years "miracle" years in the evolution of chamber music? Or perhaps this
is coincidental, as 2 great composers were near the end of their lives and
their music reflected that.  (Having a physics education I could not help
but notice that exactly 100 years latter few miracle golden years occurred
in physics when Quantum Mechanics was invented.)

As I was listening to the Quartettsats and the Adagio in e-flat D897
"Notturno", I was wondering if there are other great one movement pieces
by Schubert which I have missed?

I am not going to compete with the member of this list which owns ~100
recording of Winterreise, but I will mark Schubert's birthday (31 of
January) by buying my third recording of the String Quintet.  Any
recommendations? What is your favorite one? (I was thinking of buying
Borodin/Milam)

And finally, I was wondering, has Schubert composed any happy birthday
lieder?

Dan Zimmerman