From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:14:22 PST
Chandos has just released a disc of Schumann's Rhenish Symphony (no.3) and
Des Sangers Fluch performed by the Danish National Radio Choir and Symphony
Orchestra conducted by Michael Schonwandt.

Of course, Schumann's third symphony is frequently recorded.  To the best
of my knowledge, this is the first recording of Des Sangers Fluch (The
Minstrel's Curse).  DSF is a choral ballad by Ludwig Uhland which Schumann
arranged for soloists, chorus, and orchestra.  This is not a short work,
taking up almost 40 minutes.  It was composed about 2 years after the
Rhenish Symphony and about the same time as Der Rose Pilgerfahrt which
I have spoken of very highly in past postings.

I think well of combining a Schumann symphony with a vocal work and was
initially enthusiastic about the recording.  The performance of the
SYMphony is a good one, but not special by any means.  Everything is in
its proper place, but I didn't feel any particular insights or exuberance
emanating from the performance.  So, the worth of this cd must rest with
DSF.

Unfortunately, this vocal/choral work does not stand up well as a
composition compared to, say, Der Rose Pilgerfahrt.  Musical invention
is routine, and the performance is lacking as well.  The main problem with
the performance concerns the female soloists.  Hanne Fisher and Marianne
Rorholm, both mezzo-sopranos, simply do not have attractive voices; they're
just heavy.  The male soloists are much better.  Overall, the orchestra
seems to lack exuberance in this work as well as the symphony.

The cover art is appealing and shows us a young man trying to weasel his
way into the heart of a young damsel.  Recorded sound is fine.  I tried
every way I could think of to improve the female voices, but to no avail.

As for magazine reviews, I have seen one in Classic CD.  That review was
not complimentary either.

Don's Conclusion: A good concept that went down the drain.  Unless you
must have every work Schumann composed, your monies will be better utilized
elsewhere.  Catalog number is 9760.  I'll likely play the disc a few more
times, but it won't end up in my "preferred" piles of cds.

Don Satz