From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:35:29 PST
I could well understand if the originator of this thread, Doug Fisher,
was somewhat confused at this point concerning the recommendations he
has read.  Kevin's suggestion is to buy the Rilling set, Steve considers
Rilling's performances on the "sleepy" side, Wes very much likes
Harnoncourt, Kevin does not, and I have also chimed in with my HIP
recommendations.

Trying to respond well to Doug's concerns, I think the number one
consideration is whether he would prefer HIP, non-HIP, or both.  To come
to that decision, sampling is required which can be accomplished through
samlper cds, friends, library sources, web samples, or in the worst case,
buying a few cds to reach a conclusion.  To spend $275.  on *one*
particular performance style before knowing if it's the style for you
doesn't sound like a good use of music money.

Don Satz