From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 12:33:46 -0400
Mike Leghorn wrote:

>I agree. If I were to put my finger on it, I'd say that the biggest
>annoyance for me at concerts is distractions by people who seem to be
>sending subliminal signals (not subliminal enough!) that they'd rather
>be somewhere else.  When not much seems to be happening with the music,
>people start squirming in their chairs.  ...
>
>Not to be contentious, but I'm repulsed by the idea of "standard of
>decorum".  I prefer that concert goers be allowed to express their
>appreciation in whatever way seems appropriate to them (within reason,
>of course).  If you want to have a tailgate party after a Boccherini
>concert, then go for it!

1) I think you are confusing sitting in silence and contemplating music
just heard with boredom.  I was talking about the former.

2) What you do *after* the concert, is your business, of course.  During
the concert, however, certain decorum is most appropriate.  I see nothing
repulsive in having a little bit of kinderstube, for lack of a better
English word. After all, we do observe certain conventions (decorum) in
various situations -- why should we behave completely spontaneously in
a concert hall?  Expressing one's appreciation "in whatever way seems
appropriate to them" may be selfish and very disturbing to others.

-Margaret