From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:57:39 PST
Marly Miller responded to a quote from Aaron Copland:

>Disturbing? Unhealthy? Obsession? Unadventurous? These words are, to me, a
>bit rough when describing the old music.  I would appreciate some input on
>this.  Thanks.

Not having read Music and Imagination, I would think that "old music" was,
for Aaron Copland, music composed prior to the 20th century.  My feeling
is that Mr. Copland was not referring to the "old music" itself, but to
concert goers of the time who refused to listen to any "new music", music
being written when the book was published.  I'm wondering if Marly has read
Copland's "What to Listen For in Music." In the book, unless I'm missing
something, Mr. Copland never describes the musical forms he patiently
and clearly describes, in negative terms.  Rather, if only by the act of
writing the book, he shows that his musical roots are firmly in the "old
music."

Ron Chaplin