From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:15:11 -0500
Watching live from Lincoln Center tonight, I confess my eyes were drawn to
Anne-Sophie Mutter's strapless gown.  I noticed that at one point she put
a handkerchief across her shoulder.  I've also seen violinists place a
handkerchief under their chin, but she did not do this.  What gives?

Also, at the conclusion of the Sibelius Concerto, during her last long
solo, she broke a string.  She continued to play the solo part with the
string flapping, then appeared to pluck off the string before her final
passage.  How critical is a broken string and how risky is it to pluck one
off at such a time?

Just curious.

PS The concert was very interesting and those who missed it should try to
catch replays in your area.  Excerpts from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliette
Ballet were magnificent and both the Sibelius and Berg Concertos allowed
Ms Mutter to display her talents.

Ed