From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:18:58 +1000
Billy Kitson wrote:

>(Sir) leon Goossens' music just been released here is this an "apology"
>for the appalling way he was (mis) treated when here?? Anyhow, the First
>Symphony, "Tam o' Shanter", Concert Piece(op 65), & the Oboe Concerto are
>on a new CD ABC 462 014-2 that may be obtainable if yer know where to
>look?? As You(S) will recall, I "had trouble" with the C20th Harp
>Concertii CD?!*

Billy confuses Leon Goossens, the oboist, with his brother Sir Eugene
Goossens, the conductor, and composer of two very well-made symphonies,
among other goodies.  The second is already available on ABC Classics.
He certainly spent some time conducting in Australia but I think it's
stretching things more than a touch to refer to him as an "Aussie
composer." The mistreatment Billy refers to concerns, I assume, Goossens
being found at Sydney Airport to have in his luggage the sort of photos he
would probably keep on his hard drive these days and nobody would know or
care.  Depending on whose account of the story you believe, he may well
have been set up.  Still, the music's the important thing, not to mention
his valuable legacy of first recordings.

Richard Pennycuick