From:
Lefty Salazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:43:44 -0800
Dan Zimmerman requested recommendations from the list for a good recording
of Schubert's string quintet.

This is one of my favorite works of all time by ANY composer.  It is
just breathtakingly beautiful and has my vote for the best quintet ever.
Anyway, because I love this work so much I have bought and returned several
versions because they didn't satisfy me.  One version which has finally
made me happy is with Issac Stern, YO-Yo Ma, Cho-Liang Lin, Jaime Laredo,
and Sharon Robinson.  It is available on the Sony Classics label.  The
recording was made in April of 1993 and sounds as great as the playing.
Also on the disc is Boccherini's string quintet in E with the famous
minuet.  Anyone unfamiliar with Boccherini's works should take a stab
because he really has a delightful style.

Wes Crone