From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:17:14 -0500
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>I've be reading books about American Colonial history and I was wondering
>what music would have been perefered in the court of George III.  Does
>anyone know the music that George Washington and Ben Franklin may have
>liked? I'm curious about this if there are any musical historians in the
>group.

Certainly not I!  But I remember a series of Philips videotapes called
"Mozart on Tour" featuring many, if not all of Mozart's Piano Concertos
as a background to an account of his life, in which it was mentioned that,
shortly before his death, when Haydn had gone off to England, Mozart
thought of travelling to America.  I just love to imagine him here,
his reaction to life here at the end of the 18th century, what sort of
reception he would have encountered, and what sort of music he might have
written.

Walter Meyer