From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:30:42 -0700
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>For all those list members who have spoken of Gardiner's music in a
>depreciating manner, be assured that the "day of retribution" will be upon
>you - 8 straight hours of Gardiner/Bach in a soundproof and locked booth.
>I'll be situated outside the booth providing you with increasing doses of
>electric current whenever a favorite musical passage is played.

Don't misunderstand me.  I have many of Gardiner's performances on disc and
enjoy them immensely.  In some case, Gardiner's liturgical performances are
fine.  But I just don't think he reaches the depth, breadth, and emotion of
such a varied piece as Bach's Mass.  Richter, Jochum, and even Karajan
capture the gravitas and splendor in finer fashion than Gardiner in this,
I repeat, this composition.  But when it comes to Beethoven's Symphonies,
Brahms' Requiem, and several of Bach's Cantatas, Gardiner is in top form.

Stephen Heersink
San Francisco