From:
Jeffrey James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 18:41:51 -0700
Electroacoustic Music of Judith Shatin Performed in Maine on May 14 by
Cellist Madeleine Shapiro

Judith Shatin's For the Birds for amplified cello and electronic playback
will be presented by cellist Madeleine Shapiro on Thursday, May 14 - 8
PM at the Olins Arts Center of Bates College, Andrews Road in Lewiston,
Maine.

This performance is part of ModernWorks' The Nature Project, which
includes a four-day residence at the College.  Other composers on the
program are Matthew Burtner, Paul Rudy, Guillermo Galindo, Orlando Jacinto
Garcia and David Tcimpidis.  More about The Nature Project at
http://www.modernworks.com/repertoire/natureproject.html.

The composer has written about the work, 'For the Birds, for amplified
cello and electronics, is an homage to the birds of the Yellowstone
region as well as a play on Cage's book of that name.  Rather than imitate
the sounds of the natural world in music, I include them, sometimes
clearly, sometimes digitally transformed beyond recognition.  The joining
of the voice of the cello with that of the birds, reminds us of the
joining of the human worlds with those of the birds that surround us.
The transformation of their voices speaks to the transformative power
of music.  For the Birds was commissioned by cellist Madeleine Shapiro.
I am grateful to naturalist Kevin Colver for sharing his bird recordings.
Bird enthusiasts my also know that he is the narrator of the Stokes Field
Guide to Bird Songs: Western Region.  Each of the four movements is named
for different groups of birds: 1.  Songbirds, 2.  Sapsuckers, 3.  Birds
of Prey and 4.  Water Birds.  A video of Madeleine Shapiro's performance
is online at http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=3D5953.

Jeffrey James Arts Consulting
Website: http://www.jamesarts.com