From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 16:23:23 -0500
Mimi Ezust ponders while listening:

>... On our MCML, it is not unusual for someone to request advice for the
>'best' recording of a particular work.  I used to leap in and extoll my
>favorites, but all the while, I knew it was impossible to chose the "best"
>of anything, and it was especially difficult to pick something for someone
>else.  The best advice I can give to anyone is "listen to as much as you
>can, compare, and keep an open mind."

Well said Mimi.

This post is to me at the heart of music listening, and perhaps has
something to do with the value of live performance.  As a teenager when
I began listening to music and funds were limited to my teenage earnings,
I would play a recording over and over.  Often, this was dangerous since
I became so familiar with a performance it could be uncomfortable hearing
a different one, until I realized I sometimes also liked these 'other'
performances.  I began to develop opinions about performers, and what I
liked in music.  I learned which critics I was sympathetic with, and those
I was not.  (I have often had great pleasure from a recording after a
critic expressed dislike for it.  It helped me form an opinion about the
reviewer and how to judge future critiques.  With others I learned my views
were similar and would purchase accordingly.  There is great value in good
criticism.)

Recently there was a discussion of the Brahms Sextets on this list.
So, I bought 2 of the mentioned recordings.  I was lucky.  I still have
difficulty deciding which to play.  Both are superb, and very different.

I suspect those looking for a 'best' performance, whether it be the most up
to date sound or a particular performance, will have unexpected pleasures
as they begin to recognize the pleasure that can come listening to
different performances.

And now Mimi, having said all of this.  I am curious.  Among all of the
recordings you have acquired in the recent past (say 6 to 12 months), which
is the one you have most enjoyed, and why.  If you can, go to the 'Show and
Tell' thread and tell us about this one recording.  I have learned to value
your critique, and I may buy it.  Support the Arts you know.

Regards,

Tom Connor