From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:18:00 -0500
Thanh-Tam Le wrote:

>As we are considering neglected Australian composers of Belgian ascent,
>would any lister have heard Dorian Le Gallienne's Symphony? (I am unsure
>whether this composer, whose real name was Leon Marlois, was of Belgian or
>French origin.) I don't mean the charming 1956 Sinfonietta but the 1953
>work, so much praised by R.Covell.  Is there any way to hear it?

I have a few of his works:

4 Divine Poems of John Donne for Voice and Piano
Sinfonietta for Strings; Sonata for piano; Symphony in E;Voyageur, Ballet

To my ears the music is quite good. It is conservative, classically
structured and, as I recall, somewhat French in sound.

If you want a copy of the Sinfonietta, feel free to email me directly.

Karl