From:
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:21:39 +0000
I have been watching this thread go where it goes.  What started out
wondering about the best 10 orchestras of the world has now evolved into a
discussion of the sound of halls.  I recall a Stokowski story.  One night
the associate conductor of the NYPO got a call from Stokowski.  Stokowski
told him to go down to the symphony hall immediately.  It was very late,
but Walter Hendl was a young man.  He met Stokowski in the hall.  No one
was there but the two of them.  Stokowski had some kind of box in his hands
and was going from seat to seat, row to row, watching some meter on the
box.  Hendl asked what was going on.  Stokowski told the young maestro
that the box revealed the dead spots in the hall.  Walter followed along,
watching and listening, and sure enough, the meter filter would jump or
dive as they walked along.

By they way, what are the best orchestras today?

Peace from he who is stumpf
aka Sisyphus