From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:57:45 -0600
Danny Tan:

>Is it true that musicians will be able to enjoy the music even through
>listening to a symphony in a transitor radio (with no separation of
>different instruments whatsoever), and because he can "see through" the
>music, his enjoyment is the same whether it is from this transitor radio,
>or the high end stuff that Roger Hecht has?

Making the most of a bad situuation, maybe.  And someone recently
remarked that he has been disappointed by live performances lacking in
some subtleties discovered by studying the score.  But music is only
imagined if it isn't actually sounded, and I have heard stories of
composers who were surprised by the sound of their own music when they
first heard it in rehearsal by orchestras--enough to revise it even.

Jim Tobin