From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:40:54 PST
Mimi responds to me:

>>Regardless of where this feeling is coming from, the significant thing
>>to me is that the composer feel the emotion at the time of composition.
>
>Which time of composition? When the idea first hits...  When it is being
>worked on in a contrapuntal way...  When it comes up as material later
>reworked and used in a different form...  When it is rearranged...  What
>time frame are we talking about for this emotional feeling?

It must be nit-picking time.  I'd say that the emotion would be felt during
the creative process, and when that takes place for different individuals,
I have no idea.

>Raw emotions you want?...  Music is more than those raw sounds.  That's
>what makes it art, and makes it memorable...  It takes the talent,
>experience and discipline of a great composer to make music that's
>lasting and meaningful.

I don't know why Mimi is going off on this tangent.  I never said that
"emotion" was the only ingredient for great music; that would be one dumb
statement.  As Mimi indicated, there are a combination of factors at work
which result in a masterful piece of music, and I think that emotion is one
of them.

Don Satz