From:
Nate DeMaria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:08:47 -0400
Jane Erb wrote about her friend:

>He claims that he can play a piece hundreds of times with the
>music but is unable to play it if the music is taken away.

Although I come from a biased point of view being able to memorize easily,
I believe the most important part of memorizing a piece is listening to
a recording of it many times.  At first paying good attention to the
recording will help, then just having in the background is ok.  By
listening you learn the layout of the piece audibly, and this will help
especially in the memorizing of transitional phrases because you know
mentally where the piece is going.

nate