From:
Hector Aguilar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:02:37 -0700
Mariana Cirne wrote:

>Well, I'm not a musician, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that Mozart
>was a bad composer, but I could say I'm having a hard time understanding
>Mozart.  I'll just go right out and say it: most of the time he bores
>me silly.  His music is lacking in emotion.

This has already been said, but it's possible that Mariana is coming
to Mozart's music with a mind that's already heavily-laden with the
Romantic repertoire--- or repertoire not from the Classical Period.  So,
while everyone is recommending quintets, quartets, a mass, or the Requiem,
I would encourage the reading of a book called, "What to Listen for in
Mozart", by Robert Harris.  The book is written for the lay person, and it
is concise, fun, and easy to read.  Also, if you are not already familiar
with "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik," then pick it up, because Harris uses this
work as one of his models.  I read the book as a student, when I was also
finding Mozart rather inaccessible, and some of the explanations given
about his writing style and what he was trying to communicate I was later
also able to apply to other works by Mozart, which then enhanced my
appreciation of those pieces as well.  N.B.- While the book is easy to
read, it does assume an ability to read notes, perhaps just the treble
clef, so that you know which parts of the music he's tallking about.
Hope this helps!

hector aguilar