From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:25:57 -0500
Just the other day, I posted a review of Suzuki's Volume 13 in his series
of Bach cantatas on BIS; that disc consisted of infrequently recorded
cantatas and was a pleasure to listen to and review.

Philippe Herreweghe, on Harmonia Mundi 901690, also recently recorded three
infrequently played cantatas: BWV 29, 119, and 120.  The disc has a program
in that each of the three was specifically composed to usher in the annual
installation of municipal officers in Leipzig.  Not bad - imagine yourself
being sworn into municipal office with a brand new Bach cantata.  These
days, you would be lucky to have a Britney Spears tune in the air.  How far
have we fallen?  Don't answer that one.

Actually, this Herreweghe disc is a few months old, but I didn't get into
close listening until last night.  It's a beauty of a recording.  The
music, as you might expect, is festive, uplifting, and wonderful.  The
vocal soloists are very good or better; soprano Deborah York is heavenly,
alto Ingeborg Danz is impressive and sensual, tenor Mark Padmore never
sounded better, and bass Peter Kooy is his usual excellent self.  As for
Herreweghe and his orchestra/chorus, they are in top form.

I did make a quick comparison of Herreweghe's BWV 119 with the one from
Koopman in his Volume 10 Bach series on Erato.  Both are excellent, with
the major difference being that Koopman is more solemn; that comes as no
surprise.

Don's Conclusion: Buy the Herreweghe recording.  It's essential for Bach
lovers not allergic to period instruments and is sure to improve your
disposition (unless you're always happy).

Don Satz