From:
Marc Innes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:18:15 -0500
What does it mean to be an
"Intelligent Musician"

I wish someone would call me an Intelligent Musician, but no one has.
I used to think that the expression meant that one had years of musical
education with distinguished teachers.  I have seven degrees in higher
education concerning music and I have studied with a number of distinguished
teachers.  I know what it means to be an Intelligent Musician, but I do
not know that I am an Intelligent Musician.  I seem to be a Sight Reader
and I just do not have time to be an Intelligent Musician or to be the
Intelligent Musician that I would like to be.  I started The Cleveland
Institute of Music at such an early age, that Sight Reading is my Forte.
An Intelligent Musician is someone who has it all figured out; he knows
and understands the form and analysis of the composition.  He understands
the composition horizontally and vertically.  He understands voice
leading, the arch of the melody, the structure of the composition, and
he is able to perform the composition in a manner that is true to the
nature and notation of the composer.  One more thing, he does this in
manner that seems so easy, natural, and effortless.

"Marc Innes" <[log in to unmask]>