From:
Maciej Dziekiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:06:57 +0200
Bernard Gregoire wrote:

>Fortunately, a process by which the greater resolution available
>from high bit rate master tapes can be selectively assigned to the more
>critical mid range of hearing is centered primarily on 2000-3500 hertz.
>This process is called "noise shaping" with marketing terms such as "4D
>recording" and "super bit mapping" frequently applied.

I dont know where your information comes from but 4D from Deutche
Gramophone means something completely different.  It describes the path of
signal through microphone, stage box, A/D converter and recorder.  It is
true that DG was using for years a very misleading information trying to
proove that their 4D stage box system improves the sound, but the effect
was that the most celebrated DG sound engineer Tony Faulkner has sued the
company in UK and won the case.

>Other subjective characteristics employed when making so-called audiophile
>CD's (i.e., type of microphone) are variably employed by record producers
>to affect the final out come.  However, to accomplish audiophile
>recordings, these disks need not necessarily cost more than routine
>recording accept for the cost of high priced artists.

Please bear in mind that the very best 5 or 7 engineers in the world
use custome made microphones and equipment made often by themself from a
scratch using the most expensive components.  So if you pay $10.000 for a
single microphone and you need many microphones and a bunch of other hi-end
audio equipment including monitoring system, preamplifiers, console, many
meters of very expensive signal wiring, etc everything in adequate prices
you always come out with a higher cost than a regular Decca recording for
example, even if yyou use more affordable artists.

Maciej Dziekiewicz