From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:57:17 -0700
Donald Satz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Mozart was not a "baby" Beethoven.  Each was highly distinct from one
>another.  Either that professor doesn't have much on the ball, or he was
>just trying to stimulate the brains of his students.  I'll give him the
>benefiit of the doubt and assume the latter.

Indeed.  Mozart was happy to remain a (highly paid) servant his whole life.
Beethoven never kowtowed to the "quality" - indeed, didn't view them as
such simply because they were aristocracy.  There is the famous story about
Goethe and Beethoven encountering a Prince or Duke, which I'm sure somone
will remind us all of, as I can't find the book I'm sure it's in right
now...

Deryk Barker