From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 13:33:47 -0400
I have been exploring the music of Joseph Jongen (1873-1953) with great
delight.

A good and inexpensive introduction to his chambermusic can be found
here:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006JICC/classicalnet

which will take you to Amazon (USA) via Dave's www.classical.net.

(You can get to the other Amazons that way, too)

This cd is "Music for Flute" on Naxos 8.557111

The music sounds delightfully Ravelish or Debussyesque, and the last two
bands on the disc are variations on simple Christmas songs that sound
vaguely familiar (heigh ho, heigh ho).

The blurb on top of the cd:

   "One of the best known Belgian composers of the first half of
   the 20th century, Joseph Jongen reflected various contemporary
   styles in his music. He spent time in Germany, Italy and France,
   and was influenced by Vincent d'Indy, and later by Debussy and
   Ravel. His principal achievement lies largely in his chambermusic."

The chambermusic is wonderful!  And I am about to explore his orchestral
output, also.

String Trios by Jongen, Ysaye and de Meester can be found on Pavane 7502

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HT367I/classicalnet

Jongen String Quartets on Pavane 7483

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001LYG6W/classicalnet

Jongen piano quartet and trio for piano, violin and viola on Cypres 1638

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DD2XE/classicalnet

All highly recommended.

Mimi Ezust