From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:27:51 -0400
"David Harbin" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I hold out waiting for a great Mahler 9.  Karajan was too beatiful and
>bloated for me.  Walter in 1939 was nearer the mark but the VPO playing
>is frankly poor.

Too bad -- I LOVE Barbiorolli doing Mahler.  Maybe I should buy your
copy!?

Have you tried the later Walter from the 60s with the Columbia S.O.?
The recording is excellent, as is the interpretation.  The Mahler-Walter
connection means something, AFAIC.  It also has rehearsal and an interesting
interview.

Then there's the Kubelik and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra --
just got that, haven't listened yet (but Das Lied that accompanies it
is beautiful).  It's on ORIGINALS and may be OOP.

Many are also talking about the new Ben Zander 9th, though I haven't
heard that yet either.

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com