From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 02:23:57 +0100
Martin Anderson wrote:

>May I ask what sort of corners of the repertoire you are interested in
>exploring (and for piano trio or string trio?)? I daresay there are more
>than three members of this list who can bombard you with suggestions.
>
>[Sculthorpe's work list can be found at:
>
>http://www.fabermusic.co.uk/scullst.htm
>
>-Dave]

Thanks for all the information.  Fantastic.  Yes, there's Night Song right
on the list, 6 minutes, perfect.  I'm going to hire the parts.  I don't
know his music, I must admit.  now that I examine the worklist it looks
verry interesting, ah, there's another piece we could do, Dream, written
in 1970, for "Any instruments and any number of performers Duration any
minutes":-) That sounds like fun.  Playing score on sale..can someone
elaborate on this?

To answer your question, Martin, it's piano trio, and we have a few
areas that we want to explore.  The American romantic-style composers
wrote some lovely music, and there is a goodly number of little-known
romantic jewels from that epoch.  We look for interesting music from
Spanish composers, of course, because we live here.  Then there is some
geographical considerations in our repertoire as well.  We would like to go
to Australia, and one of our members is Australian.  We'd like program some
music from there, and get to know it, and the music community, as we try to
find concert opportunities.  So that tends to focus a search, if you know
what I mean.  This summer we're doing an all-Czech program.  I've never
been to Prague.  It's nice when a place you want to go to coincides with
great music.  Dvorak, Martinu and Suk.

Ah, I did have a question. There's Beethoven, Op. 1. The Korngold trio is
Op. 1. Is there another trio Op.1 to complete the program?

I also made contact with the Australian Music Center, back to Australian
composers.  They were very helpful, and send me a small list of works that
they recommended, which I attach, if I may.

   EDWARDS, ROSS

   Piano trio / Ross Edwards. - 1998
   1 facsimile score ([ii], 26 p.) ; 37 cm.
   Piano, violin, violoncello.  c. 15 min.
   "To Helen Edwards" -- Caption.  "Commissioned by the 1999 Melbourne
   Chamber Music Competition with assistance from The David Thomas
   Foundation" -- p.[i] "Revised Aug. 1999" -- p.26.

   HENDERSON, MOYA

   Waking up the flies: piano trio in 4 movements / by Moya Henderson. - 1990
   1 facsimile score (63 p.) ; 30 cm.
   Piano, violin, violoncello.
   "This work is dedicated to Sally Macarthur" "Commissioned by Musica
   Viva with financial assistance from the Australia Council" -- T.p.
   Includes performance and programme notes.  4th movement now published:
   Grevillea Editions.

   JOSEPH, DAVID

   Piano trio: for piano, violin & 'cello / by David Joseph. - 1989
   1 facsimile score (53 p.) ; 37 cm.
   Piano, violin, violoncello.  15 min.
   "For Trio Classico" -- T.p.

   KERRY, GORDON

   No Orphean lute: trio for violin, cello and piano in three movements
   / Gordon Kerry.  - 1994
   1 facsimile score (31 p.) ; 30 cm.
   Piano, violin, violoncello.
   "...commissioned by Phillip Henry with financial assistance from the
   Performing Arts Board of the Australia Council" -- Cover.  "...completed
   during the composer's tenure as the inaugural Peggy Glanville-Hicks
   Fellow" -- Cover.

   MEALE, RICHARD

   Divertimento: for violin, cello, piano / Richard Meale. - 1959
   1 facsimile score (26 p.) ; 30 cm.
   Violin, violoncello, piano.

   SITSKY, LARRY

   Trio no. 4, "Romantica": for violin, cello & piano / Larry Sitsky. - 1986
   1 facsimile score (31 p.) ; 42 cm.
   Piano, violin, violoncello.
   "To Stephen Leek" -- T.p.  Commissioned by Musica Viva.  Includes
   performance notes.

   SMALLEY, ROGER

   Trio: for violin, cello & piano / Roger Smalley. - 1991
   1 facsimile score (18 p.) ; 42 cm.
   Piano, violin, violoncello.  ca.13 min.
   "Dedicated to Geoffrey Michaels" -- T.p.  "Commissioned by the 1st
   Melbourne International Chamber Music Competition (Melbourne, July
   4-14 1991)" -- T.p.  Includes programme note and performance notes.

   YU, JULIAN

   Trio for piano, violin and 'cello, opus 26a / Julian Yu. - 1994
   1 facsimile score (45 p.) ; 21 x 30 cm.
   Piano, violin, violoncello.  ca.19 min.
   This piece is the composer's arrangement of his piano quartet --
   Composer's notes.  Difficulty: Professional.

Thanks

David Runnion
Mallorca