From:
Roger Lebow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:09:07 -0800
Carlos Majlis wrote:

>Some time ago, a friend send me a copy of extremely rare Heifetz's
>recordings of a Mozart's sonata and Beethoven Spring played as an very
>bad violin student on purpose, out of tune, plain, almost without
>vibrato and boring; but as a complement, the one and only recording
>of Joseph Hauge violin sonata, with composer at the piano. ...

I reply belatedly but enthusiastically.  I do know of this album, though
I've only heard it once.  It was certainly memorable!  What I'm thinking
of, however, was a 10" record of standard violin showpieces (don't
remember much of the repertoire), AS PLAYED BY the aforementioned Joseph
Hague (note spelling; it may be a different character) ON VIOLIN, with
pianist Floyd E.  Sharp (what a name: you can't forget that one!).  A
former cello teacher, Gabor Rejto, had this record and regaled a group
of us students with it one night.  (I recall that Michael Kuttner, the
second violinist of the Hungarian String Quartet was there that evening;
no one roared louder than these two Hungarian virtuosi.)

I've heard that it was Heifetz at the controls, but I've never heard or
read anything to substantiate this, though I know a few people familiar
with the recording.  The playing was SO bad, but every so often the
violinist would betray a flash of ability wholly at variance with the
prevailing mediocrity.  The real highlight for me was the Saint Saens
Introduction and Rondo capriccioso, where the violinist kept botching
the syncopated anticipation of the rondo theme, playing it on the beat
and throwing the ensemble into disarray.  You had to be there...

I have no recollection of anything BY Hague on this album, though.

I'd certainly be interested to know any further information anyone may
have.

I found this with a web search:

   http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4714143187

Roger Lebow