From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:00:30 -0800
Lewis Liu ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>To me, Mravinsky was a great conducter.  I bought 1 CD from the BMG-Melodia
>collection for sampling listening - the Bruckner #9.  The performance is
>fine but the orchestra is terrible.  May be too hash to use this word- it
>is a feature of Russian orchestra.  The brass is not performed well.

What you are describing is the Russian sound, which held sawy before the
wall came down and Russian orchestras joined in the race for homogeneity
which afflicts all the majhor orchestras of the world.

Frankly I love the sound of the Leningrad PO, with their brass section
which (to quote I can't recall whom) "could kill at 100 paces".

>I just sold the CD to 2nd hand market.  Personnally, I prefer Tintner's
>Bruckner #9.  May be Russian orchestra is not suitable for Bruckner's
>music.

Well, maybe not.  Certainly it's not to all tastes.  But have you heard his
Tchaikovsky?

Deryk Barker