From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 16:01:03 -0500
Richard Pennycuick:

>Schwantner was identified as an American composer.  I'd like to know more,
>please.

I've reviewed a couple of CDs with Schwantner's music at www.classical.net.
As to details about Schwantner:

He was born in 1943 (so he's not that young) in Chicago.  He began as a
rock guitarist and jazz arranger in his teens.  He studied with, among
others, Alan Stout and Anthony Donato at Northwestern and has been on
the Eastman faculty.  He won a Pulitzer (the US's most notable prize for
composition) for Aftertones of Infinity.  I look on the music as a tame
version of George Crumb, by and large, although there is one outstanding
piece, New Morning for the World, based on the writings of Martin Luther
King.

Steve Schwartz