From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:43:12 -0500
David Stewart:

>What you have to ask yourself is 'What is the most useful definition
>of the word music?'.  I do not believe that defining music to be able
>to mean (non-metaphorically) a car revving up is useful.

Depends on how the sound is used.  Normally, a car revving up isn't
particularly interesting, but the context of art isn't a normal context.
To put it another way, French taxi horns aren't normally interesting.  In
American in Paris, they are an unalloyed delight and very definitely music,
according to me.

>Its not about subjectivity and I respect your opinions etc.  etc., its
>about communication.  'organised' sounds can be random and still music,
>but natural sounds can't.  They are by definition, non-musical sounds.

And if organized sounds include natural sounds, what then?

Steve Schwartz