From:
"Norman M. Schwartz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:51:09 -0500
Arri Bachrach writes:

>I believe the reality of this situation is that the vast majority of
>people have no interest in classical music- that also includes highly
>educated individuals.  Aside from my musician friends, NONE of my
>friends listen to classical music or go to CM concerts- Many members of
>my community orchestra do NOT listen to CM and I suspect that applies to
>many professionals.  A very good friend of mine who teaches music, plays a
>number of instruments, etc.  says he enjoys the interviews, talk shows, etc
>which are now broadcast on WNYC.  He does not miss the music- lets face it-
>we are a very small minority.

This is exactly the case.  I have to be very grateful for the many
pleasurable years both I and my parents had listening to WNYC, WQXR and
WNCN.  My mother used to get monthly program guides from both WNYC and
WQXR.  I remember those guides well indeed, something on the order of 3"
X 10".  My mother used to go through the index in the back checking off
her favorites and put notations up on the calendar that hung on the
kitchen wall.  This must have been about 55 years ago, the WNYC guide
cost something on the order of $0.50.  Records and phonos must have been
pretty expensive then and we were none too affluent.  Unfortunately, the
days of CM on FM appear to be numbered.

Norman Schwartz