From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:08:45 -0600
Roberto Strappafelci wrote:

>Kevin Sutton wrote:
>
>>No you're not!  Homophony does not occur at the unison or the octave.  The
>>term is related to multipart writing and means (again) that all voices move
>>at the same time.
>
>This is definitively not homophony. It is "homorhythm".

Enough of this.  Here is the definition of homophony from the Harvard
Dictionary of Music:

   Homophony: Music in which the melodic interest is concentrated in
   one voice or part that is provided with a subordinate accompaniment,
   as distinct from Polyphony in which melodic interest  is distributed
   among all parts of a musical texture. The term MAY REFER to a variety
   of melody-plus-accompaniment textures AS WELL AS TO texture, termed
   HOMORHYTHMIC, in which all parts move with the same or similar rhythm.

Sorry to disappoint you Robert, but I will takethe word of Mr. Randel, the
author of the most difinitive music dictionary in print and accept the fact
that homorhythm is indeed homophony.

Kevin Sutton